Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Winter is coming.

AFC - 2017 Regular Season

AFC East

Team Owner Ovr Div
Lethal 4-2 0-0
maori Rugger
3-4 0-0
SyrcsePride
5-2 0-0
PacknLipper 1-7 0-0

AFC North

Team Owner Ovr
Div
TStrohbros 5-3 0-0
CCBeaver 1-6 0-0
Ovfd55 5-2 0-0
Luigi 5-2 0-0

AFC South

Team Owner Ovr Div
Vanflank 5-2 0-0
Dardman50 3-4 0-0
Zoufan 6-1 0-0
Nwstudly 3-3 0-0

AFC West

Team Owner Ovr Div
Bizzy 5-2 0-0
Widow 2-5 0-0
Doublenutt 1-6 0-0
OJ jr 3-4 0-0

April 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

+6
bizzyrg
ovfd55
no1xdraftpck
kotb
daniel knugs
alwaysrushing
10 posters

Custom Playbooks

Poll

Should custom playbooks be allowed?

[ 7 ]
    Custom Playbooks Bar_left37%Custom Playbooks Bar_right [37%] 
    [ 3 ]
    Custom Playbooks Bar_left16%Custom Playbooks Bar_right [16%] 
    [ 9 ]
    Custom Playbooks Bar_left47%Custom Playbooks Bar_right [47%] 

Total Votes: 19
    alwaysrushing
    alwaysrushing

Custom Playbooks Empty Custom Playbooks

Post by alwaysrushing Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:00 pm

I'm not really sure what the argument is against them. It's not like custom plays with wacky routes are being constructed, because they all currently exist in various playbooks. It allows you to personalize your arsenal by grouping up the formations/sets that you like and toss out plays that you don't use anyway. I think it could even add to the variety of play-calls. 

Just wanted to see some other opinions on the matter.
    daniel knugs
    daniel knugs

Custom Playbooks Empty Re: Custom Playbooks

Post by daniel knugs Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:00 am

I voted against them because I think a playbook should have a certain theme instead of a bunch of plays a coach likes. Although that would be more realistic, I think it'd lead to an abuse of high success plays, whereas with team playbooks you kind of choose a certain style or theme of plays that will be run and you're limited to those plays. I just think that certain playbooks with particular routes that a player likes should be used, because if you take the really good plays from each book then you end up with a book that noone is going to want to play against.
    kotb
    kotb

Post by kotb Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:10 am

daniel knugs wrote:I voted against them because I think a playbook should have a certain theme instead of a bunch of plays a coach likes. Although that would be more realistic, I think it'd lead to an abuse of high success plays, whereas with team playbooks you kind of choose a certain style or theme of plays that will be run and you're limited to those plays. I just think that certain playbooks with particular routes that a player likes should be used, because if you take the really good plays from each book then you end up with a book that noone is going to want to play against.
    Preach.
    no1xdraftpck
    no1xdraftpck
    ~OG~ will cut you

Post by no1xdraftpck Mon Aug 26, 2013 8:54 am

no
    ovfd55
    ovfd55
    Commissioner

Post by ovfd55 Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:43 am

I'm act for atleast trying it

Think it can help the league,last 2 Maddens by year 2 or 3 have 6-7 people using 1 playbook and 5-6 using another think it would help spread out more if done right.

And while Knugs is right they should have a purpose and not all over the place,Adding a little bit of flavor to a playbook could mean seeing more routes,or more types of run Plays then the same power O or stretch plays we saw last year

Maybe I give to much credit of this league trying to be sim and not abusing this by downloading a tourney book to exploit on 3rd downs
    alwaysrushing
    alwaysrushing

Post by alwaysrushing Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:05 am

ovfd55 wrote:Think it can help the league,last 2 Maddens by year 2 or 3 have 6-7 people using 1 playbook and 5-6 using another think it would help spread out more if done right.

It would be silly to only add all plays with all the same routes as DK mentioned. Can't you adjust your receivers routes before each play even without a custom playbook? It lets you have 50 different formations in the book, so I just love the freedom that it gives. I don't know how it would be an advantage if everybody is allowed to do it.
    bizzyrg
    bizzyrg

Post by bizzyrg Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:14 am

I am for Custom PBs. the fear of someone abusing it more than having one money in side of a standard PB should not be a concern. If someone is going to abuse a Custome PB with a money play, they will find that play inside of a Standard PB. Since we dont have guys that do that we shouldnt have a problem.
    kotb
    kotb

Post by kotb Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:22 am

bizzyrg wrote: Since we dont have guys that do that we shouldnt have a problem.
    did you ever play rob?

I will go on record saying that I do not think this will translate well into the actual game.
    ovfd55
    ovfd55
    Commissioner

Post by ovfd55 Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:27 am

kotb wrote:
    bizzyrg wrote: Since we dont have guys that do that we shouldnt have a problem.
    did you ever play rob?

I will go on record saying that I do not think this will translate well into the actual game.
    Rob not in League anymore

And I used custom book vs Sun and lethal and neither had a problem with it but all I did was add a few plays to the current skins book like power O run and more plays that wasn't all slants or all streaks
    no1xdraftpck
    no1xdraftpck
    ~OG~ will cut you

Post by no1xdraftpck Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:58 pm

Dont be mad when i convert on 80% of my 3rd downs. 

Didnt even think about downloading a "tourny book" thanks for the idea OV.
    kotb
    kotb

Post by kotb Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:07 pm

With all the talk about how offense has the advantage I don't see a reason to tilt the scale even further away from the defense.
    VanFlank
    VanFlank
    Commissioner

Post by VanFlank Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:45 pm

nope x 100
    bigregg22
    bigregg22

Post by bigregg22 Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:58 pm

No
    King
    King
    Minecraft Sex Tapes Coming Soon

Post by King Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:41 am

Guys go make a playbook or even download one nowhere as cheesy as you think. Try it first
    zoufan
    zoufan

Post by zoufan Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:28 am

Obviously haven't tried this, but I don't like the idea at all.
    daniel knugs
    daniel knugs

Post by daniel knugs Tue Aug 27, 2013 4:41 am

After playing one game it already feels like offenses are going to be very hard to stop. My vote is still no, but it is definitely a league-wide decision. My concern is that certain formations (wr tight formations, strong tight, some trips and twins formations) will be mixed and matched to create overpowered playbooks that have too many plays that require specific coverages to be stopped. It will certainly give advantages to coaches who study the gameplay and what plays work with multiple options for different coverages but I don't know if everyone wants to invest that time and then have to play against those who do.

As far as sim gameplay goes, I think people will pick plenty of different plays to use and mix up playcalling, but they will be from formations that are generally more difficult to defend.

I don't think everyone will do this and maybe no one will, it's just my main concern with custom PB's. What you said about half the league using one PB and half using the other is true though, so I could totally be wrong and custom playbooks will encourage more diversity.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:38 am